Howlong Public School

Strive for Success

Telephone02 6026 5206


Our school can help with enrolment queries throughout the year.

Howlong Public School is leading the way with our innovative Transition to School program.

Our belief is that it is not only the child who needs to experience transition to school but also the family, including grandparents. With that in mind we offer informative sessions for parents, carers and grandparents on how we use technology in the classroom, what happens in literacy and numeracy lessons as well as sessions suggested by parents.

Our program begins early in the year with visits to our local pre school and child care facilities and we have lots of reciprocal visits. In Term 3 transition to school begins in earnest with information sessions as mentioned above, as well as 'taster days' for new students to experience snippets of school life. We ensure that by the time children begin their education with us they are very comfortable and at ease, thus ensuring a smooth transition to school.

We can help you with your enrolment enquiries anytime throughout the year.

Starting school

Your child can start Kindergarten at the beginning of the school year if they turn five on or before 31 July in that year. By law, all children must be enrolled in school by their sixth birthday.

Because students start new work in their new class at the beginning of the school year, it would be an advantage for your child both socially and educationally, to start school as soon as possible in the new year.

Local enrolment area

Most schools have designated local enrolment areas. The School Finder shows our local enrolment area. Note: local enrolment areas are subject to change.

How to enrol 

When you’re ready to enrol your child in our school, contact us. You may need to attend an interview with the principal. There you can discuss any medical conditions or other special circumstances before your child starts school. We may also complete a risk assessment on the enrolment.

For more information, visit primary school enrolment or contact us to discuss your child’s enrolment.

Download an application to enrol (PDF 579KB).

The application form must be completed in English. However, a translated application to enrol may help you to fill out the form in English.

Temporary visas and international students

For information about eligibility and forms to complete, visit the Temporary Residents Program.

Non-local enrolments

As outlined in the department’s enrolment policy, our school may accept enrolments from outside our local enrolment area if places are available.

We will assess applications for non-local enrolment on a case-by-case basis.

Distance education

Distance education is an equity program for students who are geographically isolated or whose individual circumstances prevent them from regularly attending school. Students must meet one of the conditions in the Distance Education Enrolment Procedures to be eligible to access this program as a full-time student.

For more information about educational opportunities in rural areas, visit Rural and distance education.